MSR is a recognized brand in the world of hiking and camping tents. The American brand proposes a large number of models of tents, that is why we invite you to consult our comparison of the tents Msr which will help you to make the right choice between the ultralight models, the 4 seasons and the tents of camping.
This Msr tents comparison completes our article “How to choose your camping tent ” which gives you the keys and the main criteria to buy a camping tent that meets your needs!
Msr is one of the leading brands of the American group Cascade Design, which designs and manufactures hiking equipment. Cascade Design is Msr, Thermarest, Platypus, PackTowl, etc … Msr has been designing mountain tents since 1973. The range is organized into 3 levels:
Experience Series Tent
3 season tents: light, functional and versatile. These are technical and lightweight tents with a beautiful living space. Ideal for trekking, bivouac hiking and travelling.
Models: Freelite 1, Freelite 2, Freelite 2, Carbon Reflex 2, Carbon Reflex 2, Hubba NX, Hubba NX, Hubba NX, Hubba NX, Hubba NX, Hubba HP, Hubba Hubba HP, Mutha Hubba HP, Elixir 2, Elixir 3, Elixir 4.
Emergency shelters and tents 4 seasons offer a good compromise between robustness and space to live. Tents to be used all year round and in the worst climatic conditions: mountaineering and high mountains. They are designed to withstand extreme conditions.
Models: Fury, Stormking, Munro Bothy 2, Munro Bothy 4.
Essential Series Minimalist Shelters
Minimalist shelters and tarps dedicated to light hiking.
Models: Thru-Hiker Mesh House 2 and 3 mosquito net, Thru-Hiker 70 tarp, Thru-Hiker 100 tarp, Flylite tent, E-Bivy, Ac-Bivy.
Comparison of Msr tents and shelters
You will find in the table below, the technical characteristics of the MSR tents, allowing to compare the models:
MSR Technical Data
- Nylon Fabric: MSR uses standard nylon and high tenacity nylon. The high tenacity nylon 66 offers the best robustness and the best UV resistance.
- Ripstop tear-off nylon: this reinforcement technique makes the nylon more robust and tear-resistant. Larger wire interposed in the fabric at regular intervals reinforces the finer wire. This larger wire increases the strength/weight ratio, and prevents small tears from spreading.
- Number of threads: This standard value counts the number of warp and weft yarns per cm² of fabric. The number of threads also helps to determine the relative longevity of a fabric.
- Denier: the linear mass of a fiber, expressed in grams per 9000 m in length. This value can be used to extrapolate the weight, thickness and physical characteristics of a fabric.
- Durashield: the protection of most tents is achieved by a polyurethane coating. Polyurethane is excellent for waterproofing, but does not resist moisture in the long term. The formulation of the DuraShield MSR is specially designed for its waterproof performance and long service life. MSR tests have shown that DuraShield coating lasts twice as long as standard polyurethane coatings.
- Silicone DWR: Durable silicone waterproofing coatings offer the best performance at low weight. Silicone coatings prevent tissue from absorbing water.
- Breathable laminate: waterproof membrane with 2 layers allowing water vapor to pass through. This breathable membrane is glued to another fabric for durability and durability.
- Water column (Schmerber Index): the standardized measure of waterproofness of a fabric. The values normally indicated in the characteristics of the tents indicate the water pressure from which the water passes through the fabric. This value, expressed in mm, corresponds to the height of a column of water placed on the fabric.
- Minimum weight (according to ASTM F 1934-98): total body weight of tent, double roof (if applicable) and hoops.
- Packed weight (according to ASTM F 1934-98): Weight of the tent packed for retail sale, including the body of the tent, double roof, hoops, and any other items delivered with it (stakes, treatment sealing products, shrouds, instructions for use, storage bag, etc.).
- Maximum internal height (according to ASTM F 1935-01): Usable height of a tent measured from the ground to the highest point of the ceiling using a simple apparatus simulating the head of an average person.
- Usable volume: The value of the total interior space of a tent. MSR uses walls close to the vertical, and large ceilings, to create as much living space as possible depending on the floor surface.
- Fast and Light mounting : option for mounting a tent with only the double roof, masts or hoops and the floor mat. This minimalist assembly makes it possible to use the MSR tents as well as shelter ultralight in summer as tents for 3 seasons. The Hubba and Hubba Hubba tents also offer a third mount option, with the double roof and masts or hoops alone.
- Stay-Dry door: MSR feature designed to keep water out of the entrance of a tent, preventing drops from entering the tent. Stay-Dry doors can remain open in the rain without leaving water inside, allowing for better aeration and reduced condensation.
- Reinforced tensile points: MSR tents use seams in a stopping flange or an extra layer of fabric (sewn or heat sealed to the main fabric of the tent) to increase strength, abrasion and tear resistance.
Good camping with your MSR tent!