When we talk about sleeping bags, the main purpose is to have the most comfortable night in the middle of nature. One of the most important keys to maintaining the quality of a sleeping bag is to learn how to fold it properly. Taking time to rotate your room in the wilderness until its portable version will give you many long-term benefits; especially a long service life.
Steps On Folding Your Sleeping Bag
When it comes to folding your sleeping bag, being meticulous is key. Another way to be good at doing this is having persistence. You may have difficulty at first, but once you get enough practice, the whole folding process will be a walk in a park for you. Simply follow the steps below:
- Step 1 – Remove all contents of the sleeping bag. Shake out any dust, hair, or any unwanted particles before folding it. You may also find some hidden items like flashlights or coins. Make about two or three rounds of shaking to make sure that nothing remains inside of the sleeping bag once folded.
- Step 2 – Close all the zippers and fold the sleeping bag in half. To make it neat, ensure that all the edges are aligned. Failure to do this will result to a messy looking sleeping bag on your next use of it.
- Step 3 – Starting from the bottom of the sleeping bag, tightly roll it up in a straight manner and exert medium to hard pressure on it. Plant your knees on the unrolled part of the sleeping bag to make sure that there is no air in it once rolled up completely.
- Step 4 – Slowly remove your knees and keep rolling it with moderate pressure to a point where only two inches of unrolled sleeping bag is left. Once this is done, secure the sleeping bag using accessory straps or any kind of rope you can possibly utilize. Maintain one knee pressed on the sleeping bag while you tie it up with the rope or strap.
- Step 5 – Close it with a knot and always leave room for you to untie it while still keeping it tightly sealed. In doing this, you can be sure that it won’t break down while you are on the trail and you can still be confident that you can easily remove it from the strap once you need the sleeping bag.
- Start from the bottom – When folding your sleeping bag, always start with at the lowest point and tightly compress and remove any air it might possibly contain. Doing this diligently will cause the whole folding process to be smooth. It also makes sure that the bag is as small as possible once fully rolled being less of a hassle when it comes to storing it.
- Properly fold – Although not crucial, spending effort in properly folding your sleeping bag will make it look more neat and tidy once you will use it again. Do this for a more hygienic and clean looking campsite. It will also make it easier for you to fit a backpack (10) if the sleeping bag size will be small due to properly being folded.
- Using a stuff sack – A stuff sack is very important when it comes to sleeping bags. They are the quickest way to store your sleeping bag and reduce it to a size that can be carried along on the hike. However, it is important to note that you should properly fold your sleeping bag before stuffing it in the sack to maintain its loft.
- Always flat – Flat is the key term in the world of sleeping bags. First, always look for a flat surface before you start folding the sleeping bag. Second, always remember to lay the sleeping bag completely flat from the surface. Doing this will also give you the assurance that the sleeping bag is completely free from air pockets.
Folding a sleeping bag may seem like a very simple task, but there are actually levels to do it. Depending on your depth by folding it, your sleeping bag can serve as a portable room for months or even years to come. It is also easier to attach a properly folded sleeping bag on your backpack.
Always remember that consistency is the key. Do not worry if you fold your backpack properly takes longer time at first. Once you have a uniform and neat way to fold the sleeping bag, your body and your hands will soon get used to doing it at a much faster pace.