Testing the Mountain Equipment Xero 550 sleeping bag. At a comfort temperature of 0 ° C, the bag was tested in a tent in the Garhwal mountains of India at temperatures between -3 ° C and + 17 ° C.
- Location of the test: Garhwal (India)
- Number of nights: 7 under tent, 1 in an ashram, and two in an unheated hotel
- Weather conditions: beautiful and dry overall; a few windy and rather cold nights.
- Clothing: thermal underwear on the bust
- T °: Nocturnal temperatures between 17 and -3 ° C
- Bag Type: Goose Down 93/7
- Outside fabric: He30rs 30 g / m2 and Ripstop, water repellent and breathable DWR treatment.
- Interior fabric: polyamide
- Technical features: EXL system (elastic system) – Anatomical hood – Collar – Partition in narrow compartment with vertical wall – Zipped opening on ¾ of the sleeping bag – Tilted construction with 5 compartments at feet level – Comes with a storage bag and a compression bag
- Quality of the bulk: 750+ cuin (European)
- Filling: 500 g (213 cm) and 550 g (228 cm) goose down (93%)
- Weight (with cover): 950 g in 213 cm and 1030 g in 228 cm depending on the manufacturer – weighed to 1035 g in 228 cm
- Compressed volume: 29×19 cm – 6.6 liters
- Heat index (weight of down in kg x cuin): 412.5
- Heat-to-Weight ratio: 398.5
- Relative comfort / weight ratio: 1
- Comfort temperature / weight ratio: 1.04
- Heat-to-volume ratio: 62.50
- Ratio our comfort / volume temperature: 6.41
- Comfort / volume ratio ratio: 6.60
- Sizes: 213 cm – 228 cm
- Color: green
- Place of manufacture: China
- Price: 319,00 € in 213 cm and 349,00 € in 228 cm
Temperatures In 13537 (manufacturer data):
- Comfort: + 0 ° C
- Limit: -6 ° C
- Extreme: -22 ° C
Calculation of the comfort temperature: T ° (comfort) = -0.0413 x heat index + 14.1 = -2.94
Strong points :
- Freedom of movement
- Weight/heat ratio
- Compression bag and sleeping bag fabric with water repellent
Weak points :
- Price more than 300,00 €
Equipped with the Xero 350 model already tested on I-Trekking , the Mountain Equipment Xero 550 sleeping bag has a larger down pack. It is, therefore, warmer by 6.2 ° C when comparing our comfort temperature calculations between the two models. In return, it is slightly heavier (251 grams more) and bulkier.
Manufacture without reproach: seams and quality materials.
Tested in India in a tent at temperatures ranging from -3 ° C to + 17 ° C and sometimes on windy nights, the bag showed a very good thermal capacity, I never had cold except once after a blow of fatigue, In this case my body no longer produced heat, And a sleeping bag never produced, And yes, as a reminder, it only retains the heat that your body evacuates,
The bag, as well as its little brother, is also practical: collar and cords easily accessible, compression bag and waterproof sleeping bag, double-sided zip with a wide protective strip to avoid taking the zip in the fabric, and more, it is very comfortable in the bag thanks to the system EXL which makes it possible to stretch the fabric,
If not its price over 300,00 €, what do you blame the sleeping bag Mountain Equipment Xero 550?
- Manufacturing quality 9/10
- Thermicity 9/10
- Practicality: 9/10